This Section provides access to an Online database of:
• The best educational Videogames and mobile apps available on the market
• The most suitable Videogames and Apps that, even if not specifically designed for educational purpose, can be used as teaching or learning tools with students
Videogames and apps are categorized, analyzed and assessed in order to provide the teachers with all the necessary information and hints to make full use of the Videogames and Apps in teaching contexts.
Kaunas University of Technology
Image source: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/LittleBigPlanet_(2008_video_game)
Name of the videogame/app
Name of the producer
How to find it
To be Purchased
Main technical requirements
Native Virtual Reality Support
6-11 years, 12-17 years
Use in Educational contexts
Degree of required tutoring
Autonomous use by students
Natural Sciences, ICT, Technology, Arts and Music
The game revolves around the player's control of a small character (Sackboy) in a variety of scenarios. The LittleBigPlanet game gives opportunities to:
- Choose appearance of main character (costumes, accessories and colours) and play the game full of tasks and puzzles. Sackboy runs, jump, grab certain objects, push objects due to reach collective objects on the way or go through.
- Create all brand new game with puzzles, tasks and appearance of the game (ability to design, shape and build objects or entire locations) and share it others.
- Play games which was created by developer, by other users or user himself/herself.
These three modes are described simply by the title's tagline: Play. Create. Share.
The game begins with an introductory level, and then goes inside into a personal space of the player from which there is possibility to access the three modes of gameplay. Once the basics (Play mode) are mastered, the player is free to play the rest of the game.
Description of the game in PlayStation website says: starting five minutes making a simple puzzle it can easily turn into five hours designing a completely new game. That means a necessity to control the time of the young player with this game.
Learning Object / Suggested activities with students
The game can be used as a tool for creating the plot/story in Literature lesson or as the new videogame in Informatics Technologies lesson. It could be as a semester/year project (as individual task or for group task) based on the most liked read book or created story by the player. Than it can be shared with classmates to evaluate.
That would be different way to express the skills on creating the story, implementing technical solutions on creating the game, evaluating abilities and tendency of the child to develop skills on IT or story creating.
Skills and competences
Skills and competences acquired
"With LittleBigPlanet for Sony PlayStation 3, kids can build their own worlds and manipulate everything in them, developing logic, problem solving and spatial orientation skills in the process." Source: https://electronics.howstuffworks.com/family-tech/tech-for-kids/10-educational-video-games-your-kids-will-love9.htm
Discovering more of LittleBigPlanet (collecting objects, solving puzzles), user’s skills grow when he/she is ready to start creating and modifying Sackboy’s surroundings. All that requires a combination of brains and teamwork. While playing each new area brings a new challenge and new things to learn.
Critical thinking, Problem solving, Creativity, Resilience, Team working, Innovation