This Section provides access to an Online database of:
• The best educational Videogames and mobile apps available on the market
• The most suitable Videogames and Apps that, even if not specifically designed for educational purpose, can be used as teaching or learning tools with students
Videogames and apps are categorized, analyzed and assessed in order to provide the teachers with all the necessary information and hints to make full use of the Videogames and Apps in teaching contexts.
Kaunas University of Technology
Image source: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=Draziw.Button.Mines&hl=en
Leisure App with educational potential
Name of the videogame/app
Name of the producer
Android: Evgeny Karavashkin; iOS: Yi-Lun Lin
How to find it
Main technical requirements
Windows, Ios, Android
Native Virtual Reality Support
6-11 years, 12-17 years, 18+ years
Use in Educational contexts
Degree of required tutoring
Autonomous use by students
According Wikipedia MineSweeper game originates from the 1960s, and has been written for many computing platforms in use today. It has many variations and offshoots.
The objective of the game is to clear a rectangular board containing hidden "mines" or bombs without detonating any of them, with help from clues about the number of neighboring mines in each field.
As Minesweeper is old game there are already provements of this game benefits for achieving the crucial problem solving and critical thinking skills.
Educational potential, benefits:
- Player can choose level difficulty and take challenges.
- Despite the fact of counting the mines there comes situation when almost all board is clear but need to take risk to guess the last right spot – learning to take risks, foresee potential.
- Knowledge that everything is connected from the start – if happen first mistake on pointing the bombs in MineSweeper that will direct influence on further game decisions.
RISKS: can be catchy therefore needed time limitation for playing duration.
Learning Object / Suggested activities with students
The game can be recommended for leisure time activities to develop counting and strategic sense skills.
There can be contest on the same level game: two players with different computers and the desktop view can be shared by projector.
As there should be quick breaks during the lesson (for example after long theory explanations) that could be the contest when everybody with mobile devices setup the same level and starts all together. Five fastest pupils can get the marks or extra points to the mark.
Skills and competences
Skills and competences acquired
- Counting and foresee the map of hidden mines.
- Strategic and logic sense of upcoming/hidden pieces.
- Time management – to do it as fast as you can or faster than the others.
Critical thinking, Problem solving, Time management