This Section provides access to an Online database of:
• The best educational Videogames and mobile apps available on the market
• The most suitable Videogames and Apps that, even if not specifically designed for educational purpose, can be used as teaching or learning tools with students
Videogames and apps are categorized, analyzed and assessed in order to provide the teachers with all the necessary information and hints to make full use of the Videogames and Apps in teaching contexts.
Kaunas University of Technology
Image source: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=game.puzzle.blockpuzzle
Leisure App with educational potential
Name of the videogame/app
Name of the producer
Fun Games Free
How to find it
Main technical requirements
Windows, Linux, Ios, Android
Native Virtual Reality Support
6-11 years, 12-17 years, 18+ years
Use in Educational contexts
Degree of required tutoring
Autonomous use by students
Tetris created in 1984 and caught its popularity. The game was adopted to various consoles and operating systems and till now has its audience. As simple popular logic game researchers made investigations due to find the impact of this game. Here are some conclusions:
- Playing Tetris for as little as three minutes at a time can weaken cravings for unwanted habits (drugs, food, etc.) by approximately one fifth, according to new research. https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2015/08/150813101535.htm
- Brain imaging shows playing Tetris leads to a thicker cortex and may also increase brain efficiency, according to research published in the open access journal BMC Research Notes. https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2009/09/090901082851.htm
Risks: the game is catchy therefore needed time limitation for playing duration.
Learning Object / Suggested activities with students
- The game can be recommended for leisure time activities to develop counting and strategic sense skills.
- There can be contest on the same level game: two players with different tablets/computers and the desktop view can be shared by projector.
Skills and competences
Skills and competences acquired
- Plan the upcoming moves – creating strategies.
- Creatively solve the occurred problems (empty gaps between blocks, fitting not so suitable pieces in best position as possible).
- Play under pressure (in fast speed in upper levels).
- Counting skills.
Critical thinking, Problem solving, Creativity, Team working
apžvalgos vertimas tetris (Download